While thinking about spinoffs I like the other day, I thought of many that were just terrible or unnecessary. Â So here is a list of some of the ones I don’t like and why.
– Joey (Spinoff of ‘Friends’)- The premise is that you take the least interesting character on ‘Friends’ and give him his own show. Â No thank you. Â I would have watched ‘Phoebe’ or ‘Chandler’ though.
– Enos (spinoff of ‘The Dukes of Hazzard’)- Say what you will about ‘The Dukes of Hazzard’ but it was a big part of my childhood viewing and I liked it. Â The spinoff (starring Deputy Enos) was a bad idea.
– Mayberry RFD (spinoff of ‘The Andy Griffith Show’)- The bad spin-off. ‘Andy Griffith’ also spawned a GOOD spinoff ‘Gomer Pyle, USMC’
– Three’s A Crowd (spinoff of ‘Three’s Company’)- The rare spinoff featuring the main character of a show after his supporting cast leaves. It wasn’t good despite the presence of John Ritter.
– Crusade (spinoff of ‘Babylon 5’)- In my opinion, ‘Babylon 5’ was genius and ended too soon. The immediately spun off a show in the same universe starring Gary Cole but I didn’t like it. It was more like ‘Star Trek’ (a ship and a crew type show) and didn’t capture the things that made me love ‘Babylon 5’