One of my absolute favorite all-time comic book series is the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Â It’s about a group that comes together under the British government and it includes Mina Harker (of Dracula), Captain Nemo, Alan Quatermain (of King’s Solomon’s Mines), Dr Jekyll/Mister Hyde and the Invisible Man. Â They eventually face Martians, Professor Moriarty, Fu Manchu and many others. They made a movie (which SUCKED). Â I always felt that Alan Moore could have included a couple of other characters. Â The series has run the gamut as far as time frames. Â So the opportunities for new characters abound. Â Such as:
– Susan Pevensie (of the Narnia books). Â The last Narnia book leaves her out and says that she was “no longer a friend of Narnia”. Â That would have been great to expand on.
– Dorothy Gale (of the Oz books)
– Victor Frankenstein. Sure, he died in the book but his survival could have been easily explained.
– The Count of Monte Cristo
– Some 30’s Pulp Heroes (The Shadow, The Spider, The Avenger, The Green Hornet etc)